Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Life And Times Of A Padi Girl...

Looking at the pictures above brings back fond memories of my days as a farmer... yes, you read right! A farmer! Back in the old days, my sisters and I helped our parents at the padi field. We had two fields back then, one belonged to us and the other which we took care off for my uncle. It was all really hard work and to me it's more of a man's job because if you're weak, you don't belong in a padi field! I hated going there because it was hot, humid, tiring, and you'd feel itchy all over. There were times when I feigned sickness because I really didn't want to go there:(. Then I would end up babysitting my little nieces... and I'd thought I'd escaped from doing anything!!!

My classmates never believed me when I told them I helped my parents harvesting the padi. All they'd say was 'yeah right.' They said I didn't have the look of a farmer!! I didn't do the actual planting because the padi field had loads of leeches, and it scares the hell out of me. Most of the time, the padi field would be dry during the harvesting period. My sisters and I would be garbed in long sleeves, long pants, a big wide brimmed hat, gloves and we made sure we covered ourselves thoroughly from the sun. We really looked like farmers!

The harvesting is only done once a year but it would last a few long arduous months because the cutting and separating the padi from the stalks process was tedious. We didn't have the luxury to buy a harvesting machine back then. Sometimes we'd be lucky to have some relatives coming over to lend a helping hand and the place would be so noisy because of the chit-chatting!!

The fun part was riding the buffaloes:). Those days there were a battalion of buffaloes leaving a trail of buffalo dung behind! Now, I don't even see a single buffalo roaming in the kampung (village). Even padi fields are dwindling because people are more interested in building houses on them. It's all hard work toiling the padi field, sometimes when it floods the padi would be destroyed and you had to start all over again. The younger generation are more interested in getting jobs in the cities (me included). It's sad but I guess that's the reality of modern life!

Thinking back, it wasn't all bad. I had fun with my sisters at the padi field. There was one time when my sister was playing with a match and she accidentally burned a 'karung guni plastik' (a plastic gunny sack) and she had an earful from dad. I had my fair share of mischief too.

I remember the time I was playing on this rickety 'bridge' (well a branch really) running up and down when all of a sudden I slipped and fell into the ditch drenching myself from head to toe. Thank god it was just shallow waters (I can't swim la). My sisters sure had a great time laughing their heads off. Mom wasn't too pleased with my stunts though... hehehe...

I also remember my mom had this amazing ability. Every time she whistled (a very distinct kind of long drawn out whistle) she would actually achieve in generating the wind! I used to think she was some kind of super heroine... hehehe ... I would try to imitate her but I had no such luck. Maybe my mutant genes not powerful la. LOL!

The best part was the 'makan' time or eating time. Even if you had only rice, it tasted real good! Sometimes we caught grasshopper and my dad would roast them over a fire and eat them, but I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole even. After eating, we would rest on a small hilly area and take short naps under the trees because after that we'd be right back slogging in the field... grooaaaannnn...

That was 20 years ago... what I'd do to relive all the lovely memories again.

26 comments:

  1. OMG, Nessa.. I wanted to cry reading this post. Although I've never had the opportunity to work in a padi field, but both my parents did as a child - so I kinda grew up listening to their tales of padi field, ghosts at padi fields at night etc. However, I DID tried my hand on planting those young padi in the filed when I was about the age of 5 (helping my late grandpapa), but it was too hot, my mom asked me to stop and play under the hut instead. You're right, the makan part was the best part! White rice with ikan masin only pun sadapppp!!

    On the buffalo part, I'm glad to say that I've had experience with them. My cousin took me for a ride on a buffalo once, and when we arrived at the centre of the padi field, he ran away leaving my crying still sitting on the buffalo!!

    I love life in kampung. I'd wouldn't trade it for anything else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! You remember all these? Yeah, me too.. who could ever forget this lovely kampung memories! Those wre the days full of laughter and I still remember the part where you fell.

    Boy, I miss mom dearly(bless her soul) and dad and ofcourse all of you my sisters, the kids (my nephew and nieces)!

    I wished i could turn back the clock and do this stuff all over again. Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My paternal grandparents were padi farmers too and I did have the chance to harvest once (I can recall the pictures we took of that) and I have a lot of respect for padi farmers. Their work, especially in those days without tractor or other machinery were very hard, as you said it.

    But like you, my father would also recall those times with a smile instead of a groan.

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hasbullah Pit! Iklan Merdeka? Malaysia Boleh... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy - I once fell off a buffalo... lucky the thing didn't stomp on me, if not die la! Yup, kampung is the best, nothing beats having jungles all around:):)

    Ann - Susah mau lupa these things la sis, remember we used to play on the hills, far away from home and still be safe. Unlike now, I can't even let Darren play outside the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Nessa, I must say that post was really something else. I've never even been to a real padi field yet you actually worked on one when you were a kid. Gosh, I can't even begin to imagine what it was like toiling under the blazing sun and all that. I'm impressed, Nessa. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice reading. Our lives were so different as children. As children growing up in the west I suppose we don't think much about how other children live, some have so much more to do and bear than others.

    It's fantastic that you share this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have NEVER guessed you to be a farmer! Learn something everyday! Too funny about your Mom;s whistle! My Mom did the same thing, it was very distinctive and I always knew when dinner was ready! My friends would be like, "how does your Mom whistle like that?"
    I also think that anything you grow, alw3ays tastes better than anything you can buy in a store! I think the sense of accomplishment that comes from having a garden actually makes the food better! LOL! Take care, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jewelle! Lucky you have pictures, it didn't cross our minds to even take pictures back then:(

    MD - Well my parents were the real farmers. We (my sisters & me) just helped a bit... if we had brothers we would have stayed at home instead! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not surprised your mother could make the wind blow. If I concentrate on a cloud it will fall apart and go away while all the other clouds are still there. I have done it many times. Our minds are very strong instruments. We must use them carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have those kind of experience. Those are memories that you can recap on in future. Really nice & sweet days :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was very nostalgic. Do you get homesick still, being away from home? Whereabouts are you? Do you have a host figure somewhere beside you to lean on?

    It can get lonely huh being out there without your kin around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Nessa, that was an excellent post:) I'm sure it must have been tough working under the scorching sun. You're probably all the wiser and tougher now from that experience, ya? I'm totally in awe of you:) Have a beautiful day, Nessa. Looking forward to more posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nessa the farmer? Hard to imagine...
    Followed by roasted grasshoppers... u didn't try one?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday Nessa!!

    Many, many, many more to come! :) God bless ya.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Nessa and many more! Welcome to my site and share your opinion anytime. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to Nessa,
    Happy Birthday to you :)

    See, I sang the birthday song for you :) Have a great birthday and may all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Nessa. I was reading Jesieblogjourney when I stumbled over to yours. I'm glad I did. That was one beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dee - As a child I've always wanted to live in the west, (after watching countless TV shows!). I guess we can't pick the place where we want to be born ya:)

    Barrett - Well, that was then. I don't think I'd be a good farmer now. I once grew a watermelon and it bore a tiny fruit but I was so happy!

    David - Wow! That's amazing. I never tried that before.

    Janice - Yup, fond memories that I could tell my grandkids one day... LOL!

    Jas - I feel homesick every day:(. Thanks God for that thing called a telephone! I draw my strength from my kids:):)

    7th Heaven - It sure was tough but it was 'character building'. Hope to see you around more:)

    Mariuca - Yeah, exactly what my classmates said those days:). I can't stomach roasted grasshoppers... they smelled nice though, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cindy, Jesie, Mat Dingo, Shana - Thanks guys for the birthday wishes!!:) I'm touched.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A watermelon, that's cool! I grow tomatoes, and several of my herbs I use the most when I cook! Gardening has become a quiet passion for me! I have a deep respect for farmers. It is an amazing thing to make things grow and to manage a sizeable operation is no small feat! A truly lovely post! Your posts are always gems! Take care friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Barrett! I always wanted to grow herbs for my cooking. Not the best cook but I don't think I'd poison anyone! You have a nice day k:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. ive been told about the wistle by some elders too and dunno how, i also can 'call' out for the wind when i do the wistle....tidalah to the extend byk angin dtg but at least ada angin jugalah...hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carol - I was going through my old posts when I saw your comment for this post. I must have overlooked this, sori ya.

    Macam magic kan when you whistle and the wind would just blow softly... I don't think I want angin yang banyak, silap2 datang tornado! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv