Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BAD


... is Blog Action Day!

On October 15th bloggers around the world will publish posts that discuss poverty in some way. That way, we aim to change the conversation that particular day, to raise awareness, start a global discussion and add momentum to an important cause. And hopefully from these discussions, positive steps will materialize.

Do you know...

*Every five seconds a child dies of hunger
*150 million children in developing countries are malnourished
*More than 110 million school-age children are not in school
*6,000 children die every day because of disease-infested drinking water

And because of poverty, families and communities suffer from malnutrition, illiteracy, violence and the spread of HIV/AIDS - Squidoo

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

A couple of months back, my youngest boy was complaining about the boring food I prepared for him, it was fried nuggets and sausages and bits of long beans fried with eggs. He said that I don't make 'makanan sedap-sedap' for him like the ones shown on TV. He was probably referring to McD and KFC meals.

Now, when it comes to food, I get really pantang hearing people complaining so I told my son that there are many unfortunate people out there without proper food, some who would scavenge for food scraps in waste bins and in certain parts of Africa, there are tribes who had to hunt for food for days.

I guess I was in one of my lowly moods that day so I kinda nagged a bit at him. So, the next day, on the way to the shopping complex we saw this vagrant sleeping under the bridge near his school. He turned to me and asked if the old man was one of those people who had no food to eat and I said he could well be since he was sleeping under the bridge. I had no idea actually, for all I know he could be a grass cutter resting after a hard day's job!

My son was quiet along the way and my guess was that it really hit him badly. That night when I prepared his dinner which was basically the same as the night before, he didn't utter a word and just ate his dinner like it was the best gourmet meal in the world :)

So, when you feel like you have nothing, think of the people who really have nothing.

26 comments:

  1. You're right, sometimes we just complain too much about how we don't have enuf to eat, how the food is so bland, etc, etc that we often forget there are people out there who don't even have a tiny portion of the food we have. We're such a pampered lot!

    Good for your for posting this. More awareness needs to be done to help the unfortunate out there ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be grateful with what you have, I tried to remind myself everyday XD

    I donated for world hunger relief yesterday at kfc XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are blessed with all the things we have. We should be grateful of it each day.

    Seeing ppl with not enough food, always touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, we should be blessed and appreciate all things around

    ReplyDelete
  5. O i didn't know got BAD pulak. It's really true wat u say abt food. We shud be thankful that we're among the people who are able to eat hygienic food and who never experience great hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's good at least you give some piece of mind to your son so that he have some awareness about this kind of hunger and poverty

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's the same thing my mom used to tell me when I was little, and I think it'll be the same thing for many years to come if not enough is done about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Kak Emi..

    Now, this has made me more "bersyukur" with what i have and trying to cherish them more.

    very much agree on this one..
    "So, when you feel like you have nothing, think of the people who really have nothing."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ko tau nessa..i used to nag the same thing when son complained pasal makanan tia sedap..many times sudah..i even find pix of those hungry kids in africa so that son knows i'm not making up a story..now, he also makan saja apa yang bulih di makan.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please grab your award waiting for you at my place! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BAD! I thought you were referring to me ... LOL!

    But yeah, we're all basically a bunch of complainers. Perpetually complaining that we never have enough when there are people starving without a single grain of rice out there ...

    Shame on us all. Good for you Nessa for pointing this out! Is it too late to join this movement?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice story Nessa, ada moral of the story lagi! Happy weekend and what's for lunch here today? :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mat Dingo ~ Human nature to complain, I guess :) Yeah, we should always count our blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maslight ~ Oh, I haven't been to KFC yet. Hope it's still on so I can donate too :)

    Yup, we should always be grateful with what we have...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mama Mia ~ I feel the same way too. I get emotional seeing little children go hungry, homeless and being abused :*(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flodawn ~ Iya, short form dia tu :)

    Sia ingat lagi my granny alwes membebel if we didn't finish our food, esp rice. Now, I oso terfollow her style! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet Girlicious ~ Yeah, kids nowadays have to be told of these things, it's not a happy picture but they need to be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perry ~ It's a huge problem happening globally. We need people esp. their government to really be concerned about it and get some assistance from the richer nations. While we may never be able to wipe out poverty but hopefully with awareness, more people will come forward and contribute whatever they can to help the unfortunate ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rizal ~ Bersyukur is a lovely word indeed! :) Sometimes we tend to forget and always want more, macam pepatah, 'Diberi betis, nakkan peha'.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kadus Mama ~ Budak2 zaman skrang mana tau susah ba kan. My son tu slalu minta bili toy every time kami pi kadai. Sometimes I get so angry and tell him to eat his toys, see if dia kenyang ka inda. I know he's just a kid but skali-skala misti mo kana sound juga :)

    Iya, I think if he complain lagi next time, sia mo kasi print tu pictures juga. Picture paints a thousand words ba kan :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dora ~ Award for me?? Yay! Thanks Dora. I'll hop right over :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spiff ~ Haha... ish, jangan perasan la! LOL!

    No, it's not too late. Get yourself registered for next year's Blog Action Day movement :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Marzie ~ Thank you dear :) Lunch?? Dunno yet, still thinking... hehe

    Hope you had a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv