Monday, April 21, 2008

Dial 'M' For Mystery

I've been getting loads of unknown calls lately. It's puzzling as I rarely give out my handphone number to strangers. There was one missed call I received at 1.30am, way past my bedtime. I still wonder who that mystery caller is... not that I have any admirers, mind you! I could always call the number coz it's still in the phone's memory but I just don't feel like doing that. Besides, he/she hasn't call me back so perhaps it was just a case of mistaken calls. And further more if you're not in my phone books means I don't know you and you have no business calling me... hehehe

The other day, my youngest son told me his classmate has been trying to reach him on my phone but he could never get through. So, he's the little culprit :) I don't have a fixed line installed at home. No sense having one cos using a handphone is so much more practical and definitely so much cheaper and I don't have a spare handphone for my son, so he uses my number. I guess I should get him one. Besides there are many prepaid phone cards available for me to choose from. Phone cards is one of the best ways to keep in touch with families and friends. Prepaid would be the way to go for him. You can't simply give a boy a registered number or you'll end up with a huge phone bill at the end of the month especially with my son who tends to want to call his friend for every little thing that he needs to know.

But then, sometimes I wonder if it's wise to give him a handphone of his own. Maybe it's just a little too early for him to have one, then again, sometimes I think maybe he should have one so if there's an emergency, he could always call me. But would he have enough self restraint to not simply use the phone every single minute? He has the tendency to do that so very often whenever I leave my phone with him and he'd be calling me in the office every 10 minutes or so!

But I'm slowly inching towards actually getting him his own phone, at least I won't be bugged by his friends calling me all the time... hehehe. I'll probably give him a fixed amount prepaid card every month. If he finishes his credit before the month ends, then he'll just have to use his own pocket money to top it up. At least that would teach him the value of money :D What do you guys think? Do you think it's wise to give your kids (age 10 & below) their own phone?


20 comments:

  1. LOL! I think you should get him a phone of his own or else you'd probably end up being his personal secretary after all his friends calls for him ... :D

    But on a serious note, I think it's also a safety option, easier to keep tabs on him and it's especially good for emergencies. You know how bad this world can be these days.

    You're right about all the many prepaid phone cards out there with so many promotions that I go mad just trying to figure them out. Thank god I'm a post paid phone user :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and btw, cool header :D I like the little light on the right hand top of it ... cute touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh..what a lovely header u've got here. I wonder how u can manage all those wonderful headers.. teach me..teach me..hihi:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the header!

    And... well... A lot of kids are getting their own cells these days, but I don't know, I find it odd. 0_0 I only got my own after I came down to KL to study.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeee.. Cutenya your header Nessaa! Reminds me of me and my girlfriends, Alia and Shaks, gossiping over lunch! Difference is, there's much more food on the table! LOL

    Anyways, about that handphone thingy.. I dunno, I'm not a parent. But I always persuaded my mom never to get my lil sis a handphone until she really needs one! And now that she's 14 and she has one, all she does is bergayut! I only got a handphone when I was 18. But then, like the kids say nowadays.. Itu zaman kunoooo!!

    Dunno la, I'm sure you would know what's best for him... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kasih lah dia satu Handphone Nessa..I guess it make sense bah, kalau ada emergency (touch wood! lah) easy for your son to contact you, and it also save yourself from his friends bugging you hehehe..Just remind him lah jangan phone kau selalu, sms is okay bah kan? they´re not so expensive right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say don't as well, for the cell phone. But then again, I am no parents and I couldn't really feel ur concern right now. But yes, most of my colleagues wouldn't think twice to give their children a handphone each. Like Nick said, safety precaution.

    A few of my students do own their own cell phone. But we make it illegal for them to bring to the school cos banyak kes hilang cell phone. If they wanna make phone calls to their parents/family...they'll have to use the school telephone. If not, cigu2 punya cell phone lah jadi habuan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi i found your blog through socialspark! i love it! i think now days its good for kids to have phones so they can always get in touch with you. disney has a phone where there are only 4 buttons and one is emergency, so you can program 3 numbers in there. and i think its verizon where you can manage their phones and limit and moniter their calls and there is also gps so you can know where they are at all times. i got my first cell when i was 16 and it was prepaid but i used it up a lot but i think for a kid it would be a good route to go. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, love your header! Hope you can make one for me FOC he he he he... *suka2 kan* LOL!!!

    2nd thing is, your tee is ready for collection hi hi hi...

    Last but not least, about this handphone thingy. Aiyo, my older sis kasi both of her sons, 8 and 10handphone and what they actually do?! Main game seja especially yang youngest tu! Then, tape suara diorang, nyanyi2, snap gambar yang ntah apa2, lepas tu pandai lagi pigi tape tu TV program yang diorang suka guna tu handphone. Ish2... On a lighter note, it's good for emergency. Teach them to dial emergency numbers, but jangan seja buat prank calls, abis kana cari pak polisi nanti ha ha ha... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the new header :D cantik.

    About the handphone kan..i do think its good for him to have his own..again for safety reason.All my nieces and nephews ada phone now..senang for us to call them if anything ba.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick - Well, he's not really alone as there is someone looking after him. There is no way I'd leave my boys all alone on their own, esp. with the state of security we have these days. Sometimes, I wished I had tons of $$ and I didn't have to work. Dreaming again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Princess Sabrina, welcome to Mumblings! Thanks for the compliment. Learn Photoshop, you'll be amazed with what PS can do for you :) Thanks for dropping by, hope you'll be back ya.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haizum - I only got mine sometime in 1999 and I was working, not even a student! HP back then cost a bomb unlike now. And I used prepaid then, my phone calls alone cost more than the HP itself! Thanks to Digi, my monthly bill is always below RM100 :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Syura - Haha... I should have searched for a table with overflowing food! :D

    I think teens should have one, with calls limit, if not melambung la itu phone bill kan. Ya bah, zaman kita kuno suda... never mind, biar la kuno asal hati inda kuno! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luthie - Ya, sia pun rasa cam tu. Rasa mcm sekretari bila sia balik, kena kasitau dia siapa yang call dia! LOL

    SMS is definitely cheaper. Kids nowadays cepat belajar, so it shouldn't be a prob for him. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol - They're (students) are not allowed to bring HP to school here too. Susah juga bah kan, HP mahal2 nanti hilang or kena curi. I've seen a few public phones in their school compound. But the students are allowed to use the school's office phone for emergency purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vashonnte! Welcome to Mumblings :) I love SS!

    I wish we have that phone here, with GPS some more! Thanks for the tips, will definitely keep them in mind. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Crystal - I'm glad you love the header :) I'm not a pro bah dis design2 stuff, ini pun punya la byk songeh mau kasi ngam dia punya saiz... hehehe

    Yay, my tee is ready! Nanti sia pi check, inda sabar ni ... hehehe

    Bah budak2 bah kan, my son yg kici tu pun slalu mau main game, balik2 sia kena caj the bateri. Mau marah pun, bukan dia dengar. Pandai marah sia balik lagi tu... kids these days (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Emelda :) That's true, sia pun stuju. Kalau macam ni, sia mau beli new HP for me... my old HP, sia kasi dia. Amacam? Bijak kan?? Hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv