Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Storm In A Teacup

.
I was looking through some of my old photos (really old, like 20 years ago) the other day when I realized something. I wasn't fat at all! But the thing is, back then I truly believed that I was fat.

I think I was about 13 when I started being conscious with the way my body looked. I was the tallest in class, and being 'big boned' didn't help either. My classmates were smaller and cuter than me (that was how I saw it back then). I guess being naive caused me to think that I was fat. I had my period when I was 11, yeah, very early for a girl at that age. Back then, my girlfriends had theirs when they were in their teens. So, I felt even more conscious with zits popping out of my face. I wondered what was wrong with me then. Was I normal? Was I a freak?

Having a low self esteem definitely didn't help. I was shy and reserved and didn't mix around much with the boys cos they were also shorter than me. I don't think they would have wanted to hang out with a girl taller then them, right? I remember most of them having to look up when they talked with me... LOL! So, teen girls out there, please don't despair if you see your girlfriends are smaller than you. That doesn't mean you're fat.

It was not until I delivered my 1st baby when I realized my spare tyres were getting thicker and stubborn. Nothing I do seemed to work. I dieted by starving myself which didn't help at all cos I would be grumpy from the lack of food. I couldn't even concentrate on work. I think even my colleagues avoided me... hehe

So out of desperation, I tried a few slimming products. I was duped into buying the 'Ab Trimmer' (yeah, I blame SmartShop for that). Their ad was so convincing (how could I be so stupid), I thought I'd lose the weight just by using the Ab Trimmer. Of course, I didn't lose anything, the only thing I lost was my money :( I swore not to fall for ads like that again!

Then I tried this pill, I think it was called FibreFill or something. It's supposed to make me feel full after every meal so I wouldn't eat so much. That was a flop too. Next, was the cream you rub on your tummy, thigh, arm, etc. It gave this heaty effects which was suppose to melt the stubborn fats (or lemaks as kadusMama calls them). It caused rashes on my body so I chucked the tube in less than a week. I tried all kinds of stuff.

Then when I was about to lose hope, a friend recommended this herbal drink. She managed to lose weight just by drinking the tea. So, I thought, what have I gotta lose? Out of desperation, I bought the tea from a nearby pharmacy and started drinking it (one mug full).

Several hours later that night, I had the world's worst tummy ache. It almost felt like I had labor pains!!! The pain was excruciating, I was squirming and clinging to dear life sitting on the toilet bowl. I regretted drinking the bloody tea but I couldn't do anything so I just had to 'go with the flow'. Oh man, and flow it did. I think I was in the toilet for close to an hour with tears and sweat flowing freely from my face!

After that ordeal, I re-read the instructions again and it claimed the tea will give a mild effect. Mild my foot! I suppose they didn't even try the tea... it was far from being mild. It was torturous. They could probably use this tea as an interrogation method or something... hehe.

The next day, I woke up feeling light (no surprise there) so I thought maybe my body was shocked with the tea effects so decided to give it another chance. This time I drank just half a mug and I didn't steep the tea for too long. True enough, the pain wasn't as excruciating but it was still painful. I faithfully drank the tea for several months. The best part is getting complimented by my colleagues when they noticed I've lost a bit of weight! I felt like I was a supermodel... hahaha

Having lost a bit of weight left me feeling deliberated. I followed my girlfriends shopping, buying nice clothes, getting stares from other guys (LOL) and we really had a great time :D But my joy was short lived, cos I couldn't get my supply of the tea. I went to each and every pharmacy and they didn't have any stock. That went on for several weeks. My body was already 'in tune' with the tea that when I continued drinking it, I went through the same excruciating pain like my first experience with the tea.

The worst thing was the erratic supply of the tea, some months they'll have it, other times they don't. It was annoying to put my body to such punishment. So after years of drinking the tea, I decided enough is enough. I was also expecting my 2nd baby so it wouldn't be wise to drink tea in that condition so I stopped and the weight came back with a vengeance :(

That was 9 years ago and I haven't tried the tea again. I do not want to feel that pain just to lose weight. I know there's an easier way... yes, it's to exercise. But I'm just too lazy so I guess I'm stuck with these excess baggage. Oh well... it doesn't really bug me anymore. I have 2 wonderful boys (even though they get on my nerves most times) but I am happy :)

So, all you ladies out there on a quest to a slimmer you, perhaps you're contemplating on using M&M Inc. 2 or drinking teas, just be careful. Get as many opinions you can get from friends, family even doctors. Being slim is not everything. The important thing is our health :)
.

26 comments:

  1. LOL! I'm just like you la. I've tried all kinds of so called slimming stuff (yes, guys worry about their weight too, you know ... hehehe) and most of them are just a bunch of crap!

    I remember this pill I took, it made my poop so oily that I thought I had an oil platform in my tummy ... LOL!

    But when it all comes down to it, nothing beats the pure hard work of exercising :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried the slimming tea from Elken a few yrs back.Effective but i cannot stand the frequent visit to d loo...;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...feel like very fanatic to use slimming product huh? but be careful sometimes the product might be no good. have you try the simple coffee. it's from DCL (rED GUARA)..it's good...you don't feel harm drinking them but it will decrease your mood to eat,good for dieting and especially those who have pms...but there are so many function. i use to drink them until now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a person with very low self-esteem, always feeling that i am too fat and too ugly to be going out and scaring people.

    That's why when i was growing up, i did not have any friends, as i was afraid to make friends, always thinking that i am too ugly to be hanging out with any of them..

    Only when i became a mother, did i know that the most beautiful women in the world are Mothers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust me nothing works.Now I am battling to slim down 10 KG dancing everyday.What's the name of the tea??sounds scary!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ko tau Nessa, in my second pregnancy, i gained almost 22kg bah..so for few months memang rice tidak masuk my menu...kira diet lah..
    I only managed to shed all the extra pounds after 9 months of dieting..
    ada juga my tips of dieting in my blog tu..hehee ada masa ko check sini post sia dulu-dulu lah Slimming Tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. count me in too...dulu masa skul pun, sia rasa sia lah yg paling besar antara my group of girl friends. itu herbal tea pun sia ada try...mmg berkesan lah mcm ko bilang tapi sia tia rajin bah mo minum. lagi pun, sia punya case tida lah desperate sangat...mo kasi hilang 4-5 kilos saja bah dulu.

    sekarang...nah, bukan lagi slimming tea...weight gain bah yg kena cari. hahahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe there's no short cut to gain success in everything. So one must take effort like regular exercise to stay slim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aduh, seksa nya ko! Sya pun apa kurang, macam2 bah di ambil segala jamu tapi paling berkesan nda makan nasi waktu malam. Minum milo and makan cookies jak sebab telampau la penat kerja dan teda mood makan dan nda tau apa mo masak! Slim betul sya dulu, tapi sekarang sayang tu makanan nda kena makan haha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nessa,

    I am hooked with slimming teas, more like depended on them. If i dont drink them it makes me very short tempered coz i feel uneasy n bloated. I hate this. But its like a drug to me. Aiyo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick ~ Didn't know you were so vain... LOL! Oh, I remember that pill, I've taken it too, complimentary from my pharmacist fren. Yeah, poop so oily... gross!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mama Mia ~ Ya bah, paling teruk kalau tengah2 driving trafik jem... sengsara oh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet Girlicious ~ Itu dulu2 punya crita la. Skarang tida suda.

    Nope, I've never heard of Red Guara coffee. Sounds pretty good, where to get it?? Mahal ka?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Km ~ I felt that way too esp. when I was in my teens.

    This is one of my fav. poems for moms...

    MOTHER'S ARE THE SWEETEST

    Our mother is the sweetest and
    Most delicate of all.
    She knows more of paradise
    Than angels can recall.

    She's not only beautiful
    But passionately young,
    Playful as a kid, yet wise
    As one who has lived long.

    Her love is like the rush of life,
    A bubbling, laughing spring
    That runs through all like liquid light
    And makes the mountains sing.

    And makes the meadows turn to flower
    And trees to choicest fruit.
    She is at once the field and bower
    In which our hearts take root.

    She is at once the sea and shore,
    Our freedom and our past.
    With her we launch our daring ships
    Yet keep the things that last.

    Written by Nick Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweetiepie ~ Dancing sounds like fun :D I wish I had the time to do that... to exercise especially.

    It's called 21st Century slimming tea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kadus Mama ~ I oso gained a lot of weight in both my pregnancies. The morning sickness pun teruk.

    I'm trying to control my rice intake, susah bah kalu nampak tu rice, macam magnet seja.

    Dieting slow and steady is the way to go. Sia suda click tu link tapi itu mesej kluar 'Blog Not Found' :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol ~ Kadang sia mo try minum balik tu tea tapi bila pikir2 dia punya kesakitan tu, sia inda sanggup oh :(

    Mogot po, mau weight gain :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dora ~ That's true... there's no short cut to success. One really has to sweat it out.

    I know I should exercise more... the spirit is willing but the body, too lazy! Aduh...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crystal ~ Ya ba, seksanya mo diet just to look good. Those were the days :)

    Tia apa tu makanan inda kena makan, bagi urang lain seja makan... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gina ~ As long as it works for you, I guess it's alright :) Some teas are calming... but definitely not the one I drank. Kalau minum tu tea, tidur di toilet la crita dia... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marzie ~ Wah, a special award for me?? Ok, I'll hop right over! Thanks dear :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. alamak!! nda kuar kah pulak..aisehhh!!! bah ni lah tu link... http://kadusmama.blogspot.com/2008/08/slimming-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. only cost rm18.80..member price..kekkee..well it's a multi level marketing punya barang DCL..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kadus Mama ~ Thanks for the new link. Sia buli baca suda your tips2. Harap2 sia dapat praktikkan :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sweet Girlicious ~ That's quite reasonable. OK la ba tu, member price kan :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv