Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Pampered Generation

.
It's funny how we've come to depend on things so much that when it's not there, we tend to complain about it. A couple of nights ago, it was pouring quite heavily over here and naturally Astro, the local satellite TV station would have its transmission interrupted.

Now this was during the time my two boys normally watch their cartoon shows and the moment the transmission went off, they were complaining away about the whole thing. My youngest boy started ranting about not having anything to do and that he was going to be missing his cartoons and all that.

I told him to just watch the regular terrestrial stations and he said that they have lousy shows and not much cartoons and he wanted me to call the satellite station and scold them. I found the whole situation hilarious. They're so depended on Astro that when it's down, they're practically lost and don't know what to do. A pampered lot, that's what they are!

Imagine how lucky they are to be born in an age where they can choose anyone of 50 over (I think) channels to watch. Back in my days, we had only two channels and even then it was in black and white. You had no choice back then. If you didn't like what there were showing on either of those two channels then too bad cos you can't channel surf like these days.

I remember we had this black and white TV, the cabinet kind that had doors and all that which you could close at the end of the day. It actually looked like a cabinet, I guess that's why they called it a cabinet TV... hehehe. And even then, the transmission was grainy at times. And watching anything being shown live was like a one in a million thing.

These days things are so much more different. Most of the things we watch on TV are really current and even the sporting events shown are live. Take for instance sports. I'm not really a huge sports fan but I do love watching sporting events and I'd rather watch it live than a delayed telecast.

Sometimes it's so much better watching in the comforts of your own living room, with a can of beer and a packet of peanuts, especially if you're into things like the NFL. Gee, why am I talking about the NFL? I don't even know a single thing about the NFL... hehehe. Sometimes you just get sidetracked about what you actually want to write. I'd better get out of here before I start talking about the big bang theory, quantum physics or something even more complicated! :D
.

18 comments:

  1. I'm just slightly more lucky then you, during my time the TV already have colours but limited TV channels. Those old TV in a box with sliding door already converted into aquarium for display :) and now the aquarium no longer used and disposed. What a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya bah kan nessa..budak sekarang nie..aduiiiii!! susahnya!! sikit pun mau komplen..
    Baru yesterday, di Mix.fm dorang discuss pasal nie..hehe bayangkan la..budak sekarang ada hp..ada laptop..and some baru umur 17 tahun pun bulih drive BMW!!! Bukan lagi pampered, tapi spoilt!! hehee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it's the nature of human to complain this & that. I love watching live tennis & F1. I will catch China GP live tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kids are more fortunate nowadays, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes..u're right nessa...when i read your post it reminded me of my childhood where i only depend on 3 channel to watch cartoon and that's make me feel so happy. besides, last time, we don't need so much tools to play compare to todays children. last time the famous one is "main masak2" but now the children nowadays are exposed with technology especially with computer..and so do tv channel...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nessa, we still have the TV Cabinet at Kampung, but kaput already lah. Sayang kan, antik tu. :D My nephews pun 8 and 10, masing2 bawa handphone in case of emergencies, but my time, kasian mo cari2 coins guna public phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How right u are nessa ;P
    I guess each generation takes certain things for granted cos they never experience 'without'. My aunt use to tell me, "kamurang so lucky byk choice in fesyen baju. Our time bla-bla-bla..."
    And now me telling my younger sibling abt handphones and yeah, Astro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids today have it all indeed! This makes them not know how to wait and have patience. They want it all NOW! It's hard to teach them the right values. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ken ~ I don't think they make such TV's anymore ya. Those are one of a kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kadus Mama ~ Sia jarang dingar radio bah skrang, sia inda brapa suka channel yang banyak cakap2, mau dingar lagu seja :)

    Kadang susah juga kita kasi salah tu budak, tu parents juga yang kasi spoilt diorang ba kan. Kasih-sayang kana tukar with materialistik things...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dora ~ Oh, I love F1 too! :) So, which team do you fancy? McLaren? Ferrari?? I'm a Ferrari fan but don't reali like Massa though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hazel ~ They are indeed! Have a great week Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Girlicious ~ Oh, I definitely remember 'main masak2' with my sisters. It was so much fun! :D

    Now, kids are just into computers, you don't see them playing at the park and mingle/socialize with other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crystal ~ Eh, kaput pun simpan seja. Memang antik tu, susah mo cari skrang ba kan.

    Iya, sia pun ingat lagi pakai public phone dulu2. Skrang sia rasa sia inda tau suda cemana mo pakai public phone... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flodawn ~ Well said Flo :) Actually there are so many things we can live without but we're so used to them that if don't have them, we feel as if we can't live without them. The washing machine, microwave oven, Astro, just to name a few! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny ~ Hi Jenny! :)

    Yeah, they lack the good values and always want things instantly. My sons seem to think I have a never-ending supply of money!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv