I'm sure many of us have gone through similar 'tales from the crypt' before. I guess it was told to keep us from getting up to mischief. And boy did my parents have loads of spooky stories to keep me cringing in fear! Well, I guess most of these stories have rubbed off on me cos now I give the same 'tales from the crypt' stuff to my kids when they misbehave (not that it actually works, mind you). Kids nowadays are just not afraid of anything!
How many of you have been told weird stuff by your parents? Me, I've got loads of it. Here's a list I made over time about some of the stuff I was told when I was young. How many of you share the same taboos as mine?
- Don't sit on pillows or you'll get boils!
- Don't put plastic bags over your head or you'll see ghosts.
- Don't whistle at night or the devil will turn up.
- Don't swallow fruit seeds or the tree will grow from within you!
- Don't throw away leftover rice or you will not have enough food to eat.
- Don't cut your fingernails at night cos the virgin Mary will shed tears.
- Don't step over ropes when you're pregnant or your baby will get entangled and you'll have difficulty when giving birth.
- Don't walk under a ladder or you'll get bad luck.
- Don't point at rainbows or your fingers will rot.
- If the sun is shining & it's also raining and you're walking in the rain, you must put a leave on top of your head to ward off evil spirits.
- Don't shut your ears when you hear thunder or you'll break to pieces!