Monday, September 17, 2007

Bet You Didn't Know These...

I read this on a website some time ago... but I totally forgot the website:( If you happen to own the website, please don't sue me!! Be prepared cos the list is looong but entertaining and informative! Pay attention to the last one...


  • Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated. (My rubber bands will be in the refrigerator from now on)
  • Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite!!
  • The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
  • A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.
  • There are more chickens than people in the world.
  • The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
  • All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.
  • "Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
  • Almonds are a member of the peach family.
  • There are only 4 words in the English language which end in dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
  • A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
  • An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
  • Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
  • In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10. (Hmmm... must watch those ads from now on)
  • The characters Bert & Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life."
  • A goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds. (Sounds like some people I know...)
  • It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (Maybe the eyes would pop-out?)
  • The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
  • In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak. (Huh??)
  • The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
  • The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
  • The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.
  • A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death. (Gross!!!)
  • Elvis had a twin brother named Aaron, who died at birth, which is why Elvis' middle name was spelled Aron: in honor of his brother. It is also misspelled on his tomb stone.
  • Donald Duck comics were banned in Finland because he doesn't wear pants. (Really? Anyone from Finland?)
  • More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.
  • Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand. * 35- Shakespeare invented the words "assassination" and "bump."
  • If you keep a goldfish in the dark room, it will eventually turn white. (This I gotta try!)
  • Women blink nearly twice as much as men. (Works when you need sympathies)
  • Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do. (Woohoo!!)
  • The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
  • The word racecar and kayak are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left.
  • A snail can sleep for 3 years. (Lucky snail)
  • The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

And last and definitely most important:
  • The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it! (Eeewww... I'm laying off chocolates for good!)

20 comments:

  1. A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death. <-- This one is true! My brother and I did an experiment on this one as a kid! LOL!

    PS: Really ar.. average 8 insect legs in a chocolate?! O.o Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when oil price peak, rubber price also peak.

    Then current rubber band are not made 100% by rubber, it mixed with other thing (which i dont know)

    if you notce, current rubber band are likely to break easily compared with during past few year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A snail can sleep for 3 years.

    Now.. why wasn't I born as a snail! With my condition right now.. I really need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, OK I believe you on the cockroach part!

    This news is sad for chocolate lovers like us:( I mean now that I know it, I'll be imagining insect legs in my stomach!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sebol!

    Wow! You sure know your rubber band, cool:)

    *calcium carbonate, carbon black, clay and additives like sulfur, stearic acid, zinc oxide, wax, oil, accelerators are mixed into rubber as ingredients*... I googled this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sis, you don't want to be a snail... cos if you 'ter-drop' into that snail catcher (yang ada beer tu), susah oh!! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nessa, I know many people with that goldfish memory too ... LOL! In fact I think the goldfish is better than some of the people I know ... :D

    And I guess I'm not average cos I can fall asleep the moment I put my head down on my pillow ... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this. I noticed about the watch ads at 10.10 too. Duno how come leh :)

    Janice Ng

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they set the clock on ads at 10:10 because it resembles a smiling face. Keeps the ad "happy-looking". Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nick, sounds like some brainless people to me! LOL

    Lucky you! It takes me about 20 minutes to doze off! Sometimes, even longer... maybe I have insomnia:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janice, you're welcome:) I'm confused with the 10.10 too... maybe it's an advertising gimmick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy - Yeah, that makes sense... smart girl!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah! So I take my words back. don't want to end up like the other snail. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that information.. I do not know those facts too..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ann - You can be a bird, dog or even a cat... never a snail;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Keeyit!

    Glad to 'see' you again:) Neither did I... some are such a shock to me esp.the chocolate part!:(

    ReplyDelete
  17. It definitely takes me more than 7 minutes to fall asleep! Have a great Wed Nessa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Wednesday Marzie! :)

    Well, that puts us both under the not-so-lucky categories...

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, definitely learned some new stuff with this list, haha!

    oh, and I learned in anatomy last year that we automatically close our eyes when sneezing as a evolutionary defense mechanism (to prevent what we sneeze out from coming back into our bodies).

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joanne! Nice having you here:)

    Thanks for the explanation... definitively logical:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv