Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Up, Up And Away ...

The price of local rice (Beras Super Tempatan) has risen so drastically this week! I was at my regular hypermarket when I noticed they've run out of stock of that particular brand. It is so frustrating. The moment the local papers announce that the price of rice will increase in the very near future, it went up the very next day!

These people are like vampires, imagine those who are just barely surviving, how will they cope with the ever increasing price of essential goods? No wonder some are desperate enough to resort to stealing or even going to loan sharks. I'm not condoning crime but it is just frustrating when the price of everything goes up with no solution in sight.

I dislike talking about serious stuff but it eats me up to see a situation like this. I know it's a global thing and all that and that it's happening everywhere. So, what can we do about it? Stop eating rice altogether? What else do I eat? Noodles? That too increased in price recently. Maybe vegetables? Vegetables are more expensive and don't fill you up, well, unless you eat them by the bundles.

There is probably one way, I need to change my lifestyle. No more eating out, everything will be home cooked, and I need to slash my grocery bills in half. If that doesn't work, there are always bad credit loans for me to consider. Ah, I wish I was a child again... no worries about bills and stuff. I wonder what else they're going to increase next... Siggghhh...

22 comments:

  1. Nessa, you've hit it right on the spot. The way essential goods are increasing in price that I think it's going to be a big problem soon. The only thing that hasn't gone up for me is my salary ... siggghhh ...

    But luckily I'm on my diet of eating grass right now so I'll be able to cut down a lot more on my rice intake but you're right, vegetables aren't all that cheap either, especially the ones that you need to make salad! LOL!

    We've just got to start practicing moderation from now on I guess. Besides, Malaysians eat way too much to begin with ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the price hike just the other day when I bought a pack of 10kg! Lol, must consider the bad credit loans also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least since you're on a diet, good la! :D Tapi your kids hafta eat tooo kan.. Aiyah, susah la. Mau start makan mcm orang dulu2 la ni, lauk pun satu dua macam saja. Telur pun macam luxury good sudah nowadays.. mahal betul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ko mo beli beras nessa? FIL sa jual beras..dia tanam padi bah. Hahaha...

    My parents seldom buy rice from the market. They prefer to buy the beras kampung or just go direct to my aunties yg tanam padi. Tapi the down side is, sendiri need to hantar the padi to kasi angin di kilang padi lah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is getting crazy isn't it? Sigh...but I guess there's a lot to be thankful for because at least we're not suffering badly like other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those days, having RM50 in your pocket is wayyy enough to survive for a week - with good food too. These days, you need at least RM15 to survive in a day. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. plant ur own goods lah.. lol!!! hey.. it will b a gud work out too yah? can save money and FOC work out.. haha.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have already planted my own vegetables but only the sayur manis makes itself available. The bitter gourd and the terung never want to bear fruit.. mandul macam.
    BTW, Brooke is booted out from AI.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ya, plant your own vege is good. I have sayur manis and basil (herb) in my backyard. Hehehe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sigh*

    Everything is going up. Why isn't our ringgit value going up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick - I should go on a diet too, dat way I won't be eating rice too much. Yeah, moderation is the way to go. Less wastage means more money saved ya.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hazel - Happy Labour day to you too. Enjoy the holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emila - Haha... yalah, tak lama lagi we all kena makan ubi kayu la kalau beras no stock. I suka ubi kayu bakar... adoi, now my perut lapar already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Syura - Aiyah, my kids want to eat all the time la. How to diet?? :( Bukan makin kurus, makin tembam la crita dia... I miss my kampong suda ni, at least di sana boleh piara ayam kan, inda payah bili telur :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol - Beras murah ada ka? Bagusnya your FIL masi lagi tanam padi, tapi mimang karaja berat kan.

    Actually I prefer beras kampung, esp. brown rice. Lagi berkhasiat and tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rozella - Yup, that's true. But it's scary kan... the price keeps on increasing by the day. Takut la one day it becomes worst, and we have to fight to buy all the essential goods. Hopefully it won't reach that stage la. Palis2 jauh2...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cindy - Betul tu... kena pandai bajet, kalau inda, ada la yang makan batu ujung bulan! Nasib baik ada assignments bikin sambung nyawa :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Angie - That's actually a great idea. Now, if only I am not lazy... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Queen Bee - Wah, so rajin :) Bah, jan putus asa, I'm sure with lots of TLC, eventually your bitter gourd and terung will bear fruit ya. Yay!! So hapi Brooke is out la :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cindy - Sia mimang berminat tapi ini la bah ada penyakit 'gobulan'. Wah, kamu smua rajin bercucuk-tanam, buat sia jeles seja. I've always wanted a herb garden macam Jamie Oliver. Now, where to find a good gardener ah??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haizum - Good question! We need a credible govt. with brains to manage the economy... right now, we have way too many airheads *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv