Thursday, April 17, 2008

Xie Xie, Mr Chung!

Warning: Long post ahead!

Rantings of a mother with pent-up emotions...

Yesterday, I went to the National Registration Department (JPN) in Putrajaya to apply for my son's identification card (IC) for the 2nd time. The moment he turned 12, I went there to apply for his IC but I was told by the female clerk (I still remember her face) that they were unable to process since he was born in Sabah, she mentioned something about the presence of illegal immigrants in Sabah. What that got to do with anything still baffled me...

I was aghast when I heard it, what is the purpose of having a birth certificate and it's not even accepted by the department that issued it. Believe me, I wanted to scream then but I controlled myself as I didn't want to make a scene. I was baffled, just to get my son's IC I'd have to fly all the way to Kota Kinabalu! Where's the logic in that?? I returned home earlier that year due to unforeseen circumstances and at that time my son has not turned 12. So, I find it ridiculous that I have to return to do just that. If I could take a bus home, then of course I would.

I didn't know what struck me to make a call to the department last week. I was secretly hoping they would have upgraded their services and I'll be allowed to apply for my son's IC without having to go back home. I couldn't believe my ears when the person who answered my call told me that they actually do accept such applications. I told him about my experience last year and he was surprised himself. All he said was that I should have asked to see the officer. Ya, blame me some more. How the heck would I know?? But I thanked him anyway since he was the bearer of good news.

The next day, I decided to call again (2nd time). Just to ensure that the guy gave me the correct information. I've had so many unpleasant experience with the government departments that I've become skeptical of everything , be it positive or negative. I was given the same answer, so I told myself they've probably improved their service. I decided to go yesterday morning, and my son had to skip school. Deep in my heart, I was still worried but I've psyched myself up to give hell to everyone at JPN should they even mention that I need to fly home in order to get my son's IC.

We arrived exactly at 8.00am and headed straight to the counter on the 2nd floor. The counter clerk was not the same girl, thank god for that but my heart was already beating fast. When I gave her my son's birth certificate, she proceeded to type something on her PC and she had this puzzled look on her face. 'Oh no'... I silently said to myself... 'not again'... my pulse was already racing.

Standing next to her was a middle aged Chinese gentleman (her supervisor I presumed) and she asked him for help when she couldn't proceed as apparently there was no proper information of my son's birth certificate details in the system. After a while, she explained that they would have to liaise with their counterparts in Kota Kinabalu, get my son's details verified in the system and that it would take several hours for them to do so. I was on the verge of crying but I calmed myself for what's to come.

Then she asked for a copy of my son's birth certificate as well as my IC and my contact number so they could contact me when the process is completed. I was thinking where on earth could I find a photocopy machine in a building I wasn't even familiar with... I was still amazed I was even thinking of finding a photocopy machine when I could just demand them to photocopy those documents for me, I would pay them 3 times the normal amount even.

I guess I had this flustered look on my face (I can control my feelings but I sure couldn't control how I looked like) that the supervisor asked for my IC and my son's birth certificate and told me to wait. He came back shortly with the photocopied documents and asked for my contact number. He promised to call me as soon as they get my sons details in their system and get it verified by the other department. I wasn't going to hold my breath waiting for his call though.

I am so glad and relieved that someone from a government department actually knew the meaning of customer service. I feel like slapping that girl who told me to photocopy the documents myself. Such an arrogant and unhelpful girl. For that, I'm sure she'll be stuck manning the counter for the rest of her life! As for Mr. Chung, the supervisor (I managed to have a look on his name tag) a very big thank you to you for helping me, you are indeed godsent and I pray that your family may be blessed with the Lord above!

That evening, Mr Chung did call me (twice) and even told me my son's IC number. All I had to do is go to any JPN branch in Selangor and get the application processed. I thanked him profusely, of course. See, I am not asking for a million bucks, all I wanted was just for my son to get his IC. Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

16 comments:

  1. Eeee... sia pulak yang panas! Anything to deal with the government memang bikin tension bah! And the thing is, they have no motivation to improve at all. Like you said, behind that desk la forever!

    My cousin si Jiejah pun baru masuk government from kerja hotel and she also cannot tahan their perangai! After lunch bukan mau buka counter even though there's people waiting! Masih lagi lenggang2 sana!! Haishhh.. tensionnyaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nessa! I would've demanded the girl to go and photocopy for me he he he!! But at least all turned out well in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bikin panas! I cannot imagine how they can work like that and go back as early as 4 pm! (or is it?) and maybe afternoon tea at 2pm! I really don't like dealing with them but what to do.. at least, they are still one or a few good people in that department! Bravo Mr Chung.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nessa, what you trying to do? Take over my place as the long winded drama King? LOL! This by far has to be your longest post ever ... hehehehe ...

    Kudos to Mr. Chung. That's the kind of attitude people in the service industry should have, especially in the government and this country would be a much better place to live in :D

    You should log in to their site and send an email thanking this Mr. Chung fellow so the rest of those clowns can learn from this episode ... hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Itu la tu... Satu2 bah kerja diaorang ni! MOST of the times, siiiikit punya hal pun have to come back beribu2 kali! Last2 setengah jam bulih selesai, tapi takes more than a year!!! Stressss sya dingar ni!!! Nasib baik ada Mr. Chung. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nessa...to tell you the truth...my BUMIPUTRA Status kena ambil/erase ba from my ic when i did my new ic sini KL..Celaka betul!

    Now i think if i want that to be printed out..i have to go back to KK juga.. sialan kan?

    Ei, malas la sia mau melayan goverment ni!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Printed out pula..i mean printed on my ic bah...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is frustrating this thing of burocracy. Fortunately here in Malta I have not had any problems whatsoever, actually the opposite is the case. They have been very helpful and all. The problem has been my country's burocracy :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Syura - Heran kan kenapa govt. punya working culture macam tu... maybe bukan semua la tapi rasa2 nya kebanyakan la.

    Jiejah mesti culture shock kan, kerja hotel memang jauh berbeza sekali. Hari tu sia pi Putrajaya, suda 9am, masih ramai lagi yg makan2 di kantin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marzie - It's puzzling why they don't want to do the photocopying or at least caj la the customer. In the private sector, so far I've never been asked to photocopy my documents... they'd do for me.

    After all the hassles and grief they gave me, I'm so relieved everything turned out OK. Now all I have to do is wait 2 weeks for the IC.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann - Ya bah, bikin panas btl! Telampau kena manja, suda parah dia punya keadaan. I don't think they even want to change their attitude. Cuba these ppl work in the private sector, end of the month gerenti suda kena buang kerja.

    Indeed, kudos to Mr Chung! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick - I was pissed off with them, had to clear out everything, that's why the post is super duper long! LOL

    Yeah, ppl like Mr Chung restored my faith in the govt. (for now). Hopefully, there are more like him around. Yes, maybe I should... need to find JPN's website :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crystal - Betul tu :) Tida professional bah diorang tu... and rarely offers to help. Tida pa... what goes around comes around. One day, org yang bagi susah sama org lain tentu dpt susah juga...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emelda - Alamak! Mcm mana buli jadi mcm tu?? Nasib baik ko mention earlier cos sempat juga sia tanya kalau my son is confirmed bumiputra, and she said yes sebab ada 'H'.

    Cuba2 gia try tanya di sana Shah Alam, plaza Masalam, tingkat 7. Tapi punya la susah mo cari tu ofis... paning kepala sia. Lagi satu, anything to do with govt, kasi photostate haid smua documents sebelum datang.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy - Yeah, I hate bureaucracy. Nothing but a pain in the behind!! It's rare to find helpful govt. staff. Lucky you :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm one goverment servant myself but i do feel what you feel Nessa bcos most govt front lines memang selalu mcm tiada customer service trained. I dunno if this is just me but whenever i deal with people who work in air-conditioned govt office, guarantee ada customer service problem. Telampau sejuk mengkali sampai okodou sdh durang punya customer service skill.

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv