Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Video Killed The Radio Star

I'm not much of a radio listener but I do tune once in a while to MixFM and LightFM. Back in the old days I used to love tuning in to the local English stations where Faridah Merican, Alan Zachariah and Patrick Teoh were in their prime. That was sometime in the 80's if I'm not mistaken.

One thing stood out about these Radio DJ's on the local radio stations is their proper intonation and articulation. You could hear their t's, r's, n's, d's properly. Listening to the current DJ's, half the time I can't even make out what they're saying. It's annoying enough when they put on an American slang and pronounce Malaysia as Malayzia. Eeeeek! It's so fake la.

Most of you probably wouldn't even remember this radio DJ by the name of Radha Krishnan (unsure of spelling so it may be incorrect). I loved listening to his song dedication program on Blue Network cos his voice sounded so soothing. I never knew how he looked like so I had this vision of him being a bespectacled man, graying hair with a broad friendly smile! I wonder if he's still around...

The current DJ's could learn a lot from these oldies. The last thing I want to hear is a DJ laughing hysterically and being pretentious. When that happens, I'll just switch off the radio and turn on the CD player or even better, blog while listening to one of those free internet radio stations. I might even be able to learn a thing or two about Polk iSonic ES2 and iPod Tagging!
.

12 comments:

  1. I sooo know what you mean by the American slang DJs nowadays. My mom was just commenting on the same thing too.. But I guess ramai yang belajar "obersee" sudah skarang..

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too hate to hear all the nuisance from the DJ. that's why i love to play a cd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up to Alan Zack la! In fact I even met him a few times cos he used to do voice overs at one of my best buddies recording studio and his voice is as booming in real life as it is on the radio. Makes me feel like a child when talking to him.

    But yeah, the DJs back then had great character. The ones today are just too slapstick for my liking ... Great post, brought my childhood memories flooding in again and just may inspire me to write another childhood post! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great one Nessa! ..whenever I'm home I'm just appalled at some of the DJs .. I too missed the good old days when Faridah Merican & Alan Zachariah were on air! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG YES, I remember those days when Patrick Teoh, Radha Krishnan etc was still around (in radio, that is). I really love their voices! Especially Patrick Teoh and his midnight ghost stories!!

    How I miss those days. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shemah ~ Yup, pi obersee 2-3 tahun slang pun tukar... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hazel ~ True. It's easy and you don't have to listen to their nonsense ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick ~ That's cool, having personally met him :)

    Well, go right ahead. When you write there's no stopping you.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms Envy ~ Most of the current DJ's aren't cut to be DJ's. And I dislike celebs being DJ's, some of them are pretty annoying...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cindy ~ Eh, I didn't get to hear Patrick Teoh and his midnight ghost stories la. That would have been spooky... awesome! :D

    I had the privileged to meet him during a wedding (but I didn't get to talk to him though), a real funny person that Patrick fella.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOOD NEWS TO ALL: TRAXXfm (formerly known as Radio 4/Blue Network) will be featuring Alan Zachariah again this Friday for a merdeka special interview titled "Merdeka Broadcasting". Tune in to TRAXXfm (90.3/100.1 in the Klang Valley) if u're unsure of the frequency in your vicinity, log on to www.traxxfm.net to find out more!!! :) Love: Aeida Zahili (TRAXXfm Producer)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the info Aeida! :D

    Too bad I missed it :(

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv