Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Let There Be Light... Meow!!

Need torchlights but don't have any? Fret not, as all you need is a cat... a glowing cat that is! When it comes to cloning animals, I'm reminded of Dolly, the sheep. This is the first time I've heard of scientists cloning cats and make them glow as well. They glow only when exposed to ultraviolet beams.

South Korean scientists claimed these cloned cats (Turkish Angora) are 'significant as it could be used for developing treatments for genetic diseases and for reproducing animals suffering from the same diseases as humans.'

I don't know... I hope these innocent kittens won't get any terrible diseases as a result of being cloned. I know for sure dogs would be terrified of them in the dark... hehehe

Some facts: Dolly was born on July 5, 1996 and was put to sleep (euthanased) on February 14, 2003, aged 6 1/2 months. Normally sheep can live up to age 11 or 12 but Dolly suffered from arthritis (I didn't know animals suffer from this too) and sheep pulmonary adenomatosis (beats me what that means). So, go figure...

Source: news.yahoo.com

4 comments:

  1. Glowing kittens? Think of the possibilities here. We could attached them to cars and we wouldn't need batteries for headlights any more or we could just have tons of them at home and save on electricity costs even ... LOL!

    I'm probably gonna get crucified by all cat lovers out there ... hehehe ... just kidding people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MD - That's animal abuse already... I don't think animal lovers would approve. You'd better watch out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for the thought of kittens being used for scientific research. Even if it is for "the greater good".

    www.myrandomblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kira! Welcome to Mumblings :)

    Well, that's always the excuse scientists give. Pity those animals coz they can't speak. I wonder how humans would react if it was the opposite...

    Thanks for dropping by, hope to see you around here more often :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Hello Mumblers! Feel free to comment away... don't be shy. I don't bite! ^-^

Take a peek at my other blogs @ So Pweety! and Recipes I Luv